In part 1 of the summer movie preview I highlighted The Hangover and said "I can't wait to see this" and gave it 4 cages out of 5. On opening night I went out to catch this flick, only to be shut out because it was sold out. Well the wait is over. I decided to make the most of the rain forest weather and headed to the theaters. I would first like to apologize to The Hangover because you deserve every possible cage I can give. It was absolutely hysterical. I don't even want to describe anything from the movie for those who haven't seen it yet. All I can say is go see it, you won't be disappointed. The soundtrack was also amazing and perfectly complimented the action and there were plenty of great cameos, including a friendly Old School face. Go see this.





After a healthy dose of revolting, mustached Nic Cage shots, its back to business. Like ABC News, we too have a correspondent on Capital Hill. His name is Yahtzee, and he is a Washington Nationals fan. So therefore there aren't many opportunities for him to be proud of his team. But I awoke this morning to find an email from Yahtzee. I immediately thought there was some kind of political scandal and he had the first scoop. It would have been our first breaking news story. Instead it was a moment of gloating. Here's what he said.
Please tell me you're including something in your column about how the Nationals took 2 of 3 from the Yankees.
Winning Percentage vs. the NY Yankees (Top 4 Teams)
Enjoy its while it lasts my friend. They might not win another series all season.
"Steamin Willie Beamen"
The Hangover…Best Ever?
Let me bring us back to the topic. Movies. I have now been told by every person who has a tongue and a pulse that The Hangover was the best movie they had either; A) Ever Seen B) Seen in Years C) Could Have Imagined. I mean I have people telling me it’s better the Old School, Ace, and others. Old School? Ace!?!?!?! I have not seen this movie yet. There are a myriad of reasons why I have not seen it, some of which are stupid (I am a Non Conformist) and some are more serious (my underground movie connection got busted) but the major reason is that I am scared that I won’t like it. Yet the only reason why I would not like it is because I have been listening to people drool over it since day one. I mean it might make me laugh so hard my head will pop off…right?? And the chances that it will be better then Old School are very very very slim. I have seen Old School under all conditions and I would say that it is one of the best comedies that I have ever seen. It has everything, great cast, great concept, great jokes, sex, Vince Vaughn, orgies…The only thing it doesn’t have is Kenny Powers burning some Pineapple Express. But this is not about Old School. This is about hype. The ultimate accolade that a movie can get for me is a top ten billing, and that is where it all changed with The Hangover. Top Ten? The movie has not even left the theater. Give me a break with that please. I mean how can I go see a movie that someone says is top ten all time and it has been out for three weeks? So I got upset and I made the list.
1. Ace Ventura
2. National Lampoons Christmas Vacation
3. The Big Lebowski
4. Anchorman
5. Groundhog Day
6. Blues Brothers
7. Dumb and Dumber
8. Blazing Saddles
9. Caddyshack
10. Old School
"Picks of the Unknown Gambler"
Career Juice: 11-13-1
As the sun was in its early stages of rising, the Pauper was well on his way to his next destination. It had been a long trip so far and the Pauper's Italian blood was curling for some red wine, knowing full well he was in the heart of America's wine country. The Pauper never had much need for commercial gains or popular destinations. So when he went to Napa Valley, he tried to find the most obscure and secluded vineyard possible. No tour guides or brochures, just instincts; let his nose and his feelings lead the way.
He pulled up to a few buildings, but immediately left. Too many people. Tourists and amateurs here for the cookie cutter experience and a souvenir wine glass. But that's not the Pauper. So he drove a little out of the way and came across an old looking house, something that could have come straight from Tuscany. The Pauper couldn't explain why, but this was the place he was going to stop at. He drove down a dusty road and parked just outside the large wooden doors, probably oak if I had to guess. No one was in sight so the Pauper let himself in. The aroma was intoxicating and sights were astounding. He heard some commotion down the hall and followed the noise. There, hard at work, was a portly gentleman with a thick, graying beard.
"Can I help you"? the man asked the Pauper. "I was just passing through and wanted to check out a vineyard. I won't be long, if you don't mind". The man was strangely familiar but the Pauper didn't know why. "Be my guest" as the man signaled for the Pauper to come over to the vat. He grabbed 2 pristine wine glasses and filled them with some delicious vino. For the first time since encountering this familiar stranger, the Pauper had a clear look at his face. It was Francis Ford Coppola, the director of the Godfather and famous wine connoisseur. Trying not to act like a crazed teenie bopper fan, the Pauper kept his cool. "So where on the boot are you from" asked Coppola. He could tell by the Roman nose that the Pauper was Italian. "My family is from just outside of Naples". The two sat outside in a gorgeous veranda overlooking fields of grapes and talked all things Italy. What's the better cheese, Romano or Asiago? What's the best kind of parmigiana, Veal or Eggplant. And then Coppola decided to see what kind of an Italian the Pauper really was. He asked him two questions, what's the best kind of red wine and what film is better Godfather 1 or Godfather 2?
It was make or break time for the Pauper. He swirled the wine around his glass, gave it a nice smooth sniff and slowly savored the flavors. He didn't speak right away, but rather took some time to contemplate the difficult questions. "Well Francis, as for the better kind of red wine, I don't believe there is one. There are higher quality wines and that lies in the origins of the grapes and the attention to detail of the fermintation process. I respect a good bottle of wine just as I respect a quality film. As for your second inquery, I must say I prefer Godfather I. The quotability factor is much higher in part I than II. There are many more memorable moments from part I and you have to respect the original. Although DeNiro delivers an iconic performance in the second film, I'm standing by my guns and saying part I".
Coppola was astounded. It was the perfect answer to an almost unanswerable question. It was similar to when Red was asked if he thinks he has been rehabilitated in Shawshank. Coppola had been waiting nearly a quarter century for someone to answer those questions like that. "Tom, you can come back here anytime". They sat and talked over more wine for many hours. The hours had flown by and vino had gone down smoothly. The Pauper thanked him for his hospitality and promised to return someday. Before he drove off, Coppola handed him a key to the winery and a bottle of vintage chianti circa 1971. "From Vito Corleone" he said. It had felt like a dream but it was as real as it could be. It just goes to show you that you never know what to expect and you never know who you're gonna come across on a cross country trip of enlightenment.
"What to Expect When You're Expecting"
no animal house, i am upset
ReplyDelete