Thursday, July 2, 2009

Cheesepots, Forefathers and Paupers

It's that time of the year ladies and gentleman, the 4th of July. One of the most epic weekends of the year. Unlike New Years Eve when sometimes the expectations exceed what actually happens, the 4th never disappoints. Unfortunately my plans were disappointed, but like my patriotic brethren of the 18th century I will not be defeated.

I'm assuming most people have Friday off, so I have decided to publish this post a day early. This is our 24th edition of ETC. ETC. ETC. and the critics are clamoring already. They think I'm a thing of the past, that the last few posts have not been up to the usual standard that we've grown accustomed to. "He's all washed up", "He's got nothing left in the tank" said a man also known as Cheesepot. Well Mr. Pot I'm here to answer the call. This weekend marks the return to glory of an insanely good looking and extremely badass association known as Team Mansausage. The origin of the name came at a time when all 5 of us were crammed into a small car for an extented road trip. So save your snide remarks and accept the name. All you need to know is the following quotation taken from an actual email from a displaced member of Team Mansausage...

"the big question is if the north is ready for the triumphant return of the "Great White Sexiness" as I am known in many circles of important people".

To honor our forefathers, the esteemed members of Team Mansausage will be invading our nation's capital to celebrate. Everything will be documented and a running diary "tell-all" will be aired on Monday to recap the action. Here's what you can expect...lots of games of tap-out, beer bats, mingling with beautiful D.C. babies, trash talking like Rasheed Wallace, a complete re-enactment of the final scene of "A Few Good Men" and an old, old wooden ship used during the civil war.

+ =

"The Pauper"
Before I present the final chapter of "The Tale of the Pauper: A Cross Country Trip of Enlightenment" I would like to say a few words. Consider this my epilogue. The short story about the Pauper is in many ways a landmark achievement. Not for me the author, but for the Pauper, the man who embarked on this epic journey. It was a bold and brave decision to stay in the backseat of your car for more than a month all by your lonesome. Only a person with strong moral fibers and an insatiable curiosity for the unknown could have managed a trip like this. Many people were skepticle of this idea, including myself, but I'm sure the Pauper can explain the merits of this trip way better than I can. Today the Pauper returned home, bringing to an end one of the greatest months of his life. He came back wiser, stronger and with a "castaway-esque" beard. I hope this short story will one day take life like "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button", a short story that grows over time, means different things to different people and eventually is made into a movie.
The Tale of the Pauper : A Cross Country Trip of Enlightenment
Chapter 9
The Long and Winding Road
(Narration by Morgan Freeman)

July 1, 2009 7:09 PM : Last blog update: passing linc and citizens in philly

As the final moments of the epic journey were approaching the Pauper took a few moments to reflect. Many years ago the great explorer George Mallory, who was to die on Mount Everest, was asked why he wanted to climb the mountain. "Because it is there", he responded. It is with that frankness and sense of adventure that has guided the Pauper along his trip. He had been to places he never would have imagined. Places like Muddy Gap, WY and Death Valley, CA. As the roads and cities became familiar again, the Pauper wondered what it would be like to rejoin society. To have to shower every morning, to be conscious of time, to make small talk about the weather with people you really don't like. I imagine its similar to the feelings that Red had in The Shawshank Redemption. Conflicting emotions of joy and sadness, relief and anxiousness.

The Pauper was just over 3 hours away from his hometown in the state of Connecticut. While part of him was upset to see the expedition come to an end, another part was glad that he would soon be with friends and family. Undoubtedly they will have plenty of questions for the Pauper and he couldn't wait to tell about life on the open road. It is ironic that the very last blog update comes from Philadelphia on this weekend of Independence. 233 years ago, in that very city, the foundations of Independence took form. The forefathers were embarking on something that many thought was insane and sure to fail. But they followed their beliefs and so did the Pauper.

The long and winding road had new meaning. It was no longer a Beatles song, it was a symbol for the great adventure that he just endured. Why did the Pauper do it? I can't be entirely sure. But I turn to a JFK speech for some guidance. William Bradford, speaking in 1630 of the founding of the Plymouth Bay Colony, said that all great and honorable actions are accompanied with great difficulties, and both must be enterprised and overcome with answerable courage. That sums up the Pauper and his journey pretty well to me.

Life is only a dream and we are the imagination of ourselves. In which case I imagine the Pauper to be a brave and noble man.

"Theme of the Weekend"
I was desperately searching for the Sandlot version of the Ray Charles song "America the Beautiful" but couldn't find it anywhere. So this will have to due. It's grainy and looks like the Zapruder film, but it's the best I could do. Enjoy.

"What to Expect When You're Expecting"
I will be documenting all the craziness of July 4th with a running diary live from D.C. Enjoy your fireworks, enjoy your BBQ's and enjoy your alcohol, safely of course. Happy 4th and until next time....Stay Sweet.

1 comment:

  1. i once saw a bald eagle in the wild, i have seen kings and queens, lions leading their pride, but never have i seen something as majestic as i saw this weekend. i drive down a nice back road on the sunny 4th of july, and all you will not guess what i saw, a man reborn, the pauper washing his car after his journey. the sense of accomplishment radiating like the sun, it made me feel like a new man. welcome home pauper, welcome home.

    ReplyDelete